Thursday, September 23, 2021

Obstacles and Opportunities

As far as setbacks go, I was met with a pretty solid one this week. Last Saturday, while enjoying some outside activities with friends - badminton, to be exact - I ruptured my Achilles tendon. Not fun. Sometimes the universe is very aggressive in delivering simple messages like "hey, you're getting older."

Looking ahead to surgery in a few days followed by physical therapy and recovery, I know there will be plenty of smaller obstacles to work through that lie ahead.

With this situation comes opportunity. Personally, it's a chance to become more intentional establishing daily habits like stretching, being mindful, focusing on what my body is telling me and focusing on my body as a whole. There is every reason to think and believe I can emerge from this process better and stronger in many ways. 

The other opportunity for me is to be an example to my own kids and my students. In education we tend to talk a lot about mindset, grit, positivity, goal-setting, etc. This is my chance to show the people around me - in real time - what this might look like when working through very real setbacks. 

There will be tough days, good days, and bad days. Days where it will be very hard to put on a good face and power through. It'll be important for me to remember that it's okay to be honest with my students --> tell them when I'm struggling and why. Demonstrating thoughtfulness, reflection, vulnerability and - yes - toughness and grit, will hopefully be an example they can draw from in their own lives. 

Here's hoping... (also hoping that eventually that leg will get back to where it was - even though it might take almost a year!)

No comments:

Post a Comment